Banana flower, known as koldil in Assamese, is delicious and very healthy. Here is my version of a easy and fast koldil recipe, which anyone can make on their own!
Before we get cooking let’s know the health benefits of green banana flowers.
Health benefits of green banana flower (koldil) :
1.Green banana flowers are one of the richest source of iron. Iron is essential for producing of blood and helps fight anemia, prevents infection and even insomnia! (If you have insomnia read this to sleep better)
2. It contains large amounts of fibre which helps maintain digestive health.
2.Banana flowers are rich source of potassium and thus beneficial for heart health.
3. It’s a good source of resistant starch which helps in maintaining blood sugar levels.
RAW BANANA FLOWERS STIR FRY – Easy Koldil Recipe.
For this easy and healthy recipe, you will the following ingredients:
Banana flowers (koldil) – one whole
Chilli – 4 -5 nos
Garlic paste – one teaspoon
Ginger paste – one teaspoon
Onion – one (large)
Turmeric powder -1/2 teaspoon
Urad dal – 1/2 teaspoon
Mustard seeds- 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Garam masala powder -1/2 teaspoon
Chilli powder- 1/2 teaspoon
Salt – as per taste
Coriander – for garnish
Cooking time : 15 mins
1. Clean the entire banana flower (koldil). Then, chop the flowers into fine pieces.
2.Heat 2 cups water in an saucepan. When it comes to boil, the finely chopped banana flower to the boiling water. Cook for 5mins.
3.Remove the flowers from heat, and drain away the hot water. Keep it aside for use later.
3. Make a paste of green chillies, ginger and garlic. Set aside.
4.Seperately crush onions into a rough paste in a blender. Set aside.
5. Heat oil in a pan. Add urad dal, mustard seeds and cumin. Let dal fry until golden on medium heat, taking care not to burn. Add ginger garlic and chilli paste.
6.Fry until you get a nice aroma and the colour is slightly golden.
7. Add crushed onions and fry till onions caramelize.
8. Drain water from the banana flowers and add it to pan. Add turmeric powder.
9. Mix and fry on medium flame until almost cooked. Stir constantly to prevent burning.
10. Sprinkle salt evenly to taste and fry on medium flame till soft.
11.Add garam masala powder and red chilli powder and fry on medium flame until mixture firms up.
12. Turn off the heat once the banana flowers are nicely fried. Garnish with finely chopped coriander. Plate and serve hot with rice or roti.